The abortion pill method is a series of two different drugs that work to end and expel a pregnancy. If you are considering a medication abortion, it’s important to remember that it is only FDA-approved up to 10 weeks gestational age.
Short-Term Side Effects of Abortion
Not every woman who experiences an abortion will experience the following side effects, but, as with any medical procedure, there is always a risk.
According to the Mayo Clinic, potential risks of medical abortion (the abortion pill) include:
- Incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed by surgical abortion
- An ongoing unwanted pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
Long-Term Risks of Abortion
Even if you didn’t experience risks directly after a medication abortion, it’s essential to consider its implications on your future health.
Some health complications linked to having an abortion procedure include:
- A 2013 study found that women who have had abortions are more than twice as likely to have a very early preterm delivery in future pregnancies.
- Babies born prematurely are more likely to experience autism, social or intellectual impairment, cerebral palsy, and other disabilities.
- A surgical abortion can sometimes cause uterine scarring, making it difficult to get pregnant again, or cause complications in future pregnancies, such as low birth weight or premature birth.
Psychological Risks of Abortion
Abortion can affect a woman’s mental health too. Some potential risks after an abortion include:
If you have already struggled with mental health, you are at greater risk of psychological complications after an abortion. Be sure to consider this as you weigh your options.
Before Scheduling An Abortion
If you are considering an abortion, scheduling a no-cost ultrasound at our clinic is the best way to gain more clarity about your pregnancy
Ultrasound can verify the gestational age of the pregnancy as well as eliminate the possibility of ectopic pregnancy by verifying the pregnancy’s location.
Please contact us today to schedule your appointment!