If you’re facing an unplanned pregnancy and don’t want another abortion, your other two options are parenting or adoption. While both of these options involve carrying the pregnancy to term, you have choices within each.
Read on to learn more about parenting and adoption. By learning all you can about your pregnancy options, you will be empowered to make an informed decision for yourself.
Want to talk to someone in person about your options? Looking for free pregnancy resources? Contact Pathways Pregnancy Resource Center today for a free, confidential appointment.
Parenting might feel like an impossible option—maybe you’re still trying to finish school, don’t feel supported by your partner, or are worried about money. While these feelings are all understandable, parenting is possible despite these obstacles! In fact, many women find that they are still able to accomplish their goals while parenting, and that it’s the best decision they’ve ever made.
If you’re worried about financial or emotional support while parenting, the good news is that there are plenty of community resources that can help—from parenting support groups to financial assistance programs. Looking for these resources in your area? Call Pathways Pregnancy Resource Center at 423-968-4673 for community referrals.
When considering whether parenting is right for you, thinking through the following questions can help:
- How will I feel if I choose not to parent?
- What are my goals? How can I envision parenting alongside working toward these goals?
- Who are parenting role models in my life? What can I learn from them? If I don’t have parenting role models, where can I find parenting information?
While parenting is a choice only you can make, realize that your worries and fears about this option are normal. Even soon-to-be parents who planned their pregnancy can feel nervous about what kind of parents they’ll be. If you choose this option, reading as much as you can about parenting, attending parenting classes, and watching informational videos can all help you feel more prepared and confident as a parent.
Adoption is another choice you have for your pregnancy. While this option entails carrying the pregnancy to term and giving your parental rights to an adoptive family, you get to decide the details of the adoption plan.
Some of the details you can decide on in an adoption plan include:
- The adoptive family—you can work with an adoption agency to choose the family you want to adopt your child
- How often or little you communicate with the adoptive family—whether you want to have frequent contact or remain anonymous, you get to decide what works best for you
- Your level of involvement—you can choose whether you want to be part of the child’s life through phone calls or in-person visits, or whether you don’t want to know anything
While adoption can be an emotionally difficult choice, it can also be highly rewarding because it means giving an adoptive family the ability to be parents.
If you think that adoption might be right for you, it’s a good idea to contact a local adoption agency to talk about the process.
Thinking about what to do next in your pregnancy can feel overwhelming, but you’re not alone. At Pathways Pregnancy Resource Center, we’re here to talk and answer your questions. While only you can decide what’s best for your pregnancy, we’re here to support you with information and free resources that can help you feel empowered to move forward. Contact us today to schedule a free, confidential appointment.